Saturday, 26 May 2012

The Birth of Paige Ellen - Part 1

I thought the best way to tell you all about my labour was to split it up into two parts as it happened over two days. So here is part 1 :D

Wednesday 16th May   

It all started in the very early hours as I was woken up with belly ache and back ache at 4:30am. I woke Mark up and mentioned to him that I thought I was having contractions and maybe this was it... the excitment was obviously too much for him as he fell asleep, lol. To be honest I don't really blame him as i'd had so many pains and twinges in the past 3 weeks I too had gotten very bored of them. I laid in bed and timed a few of the contractions... they were lasting 40seconds and ranging from 4 - 8 minutes. As they were still quite irregular I tried my best to get some sleep just in case they developed. 

Mark woke for work around 7am and I was still having contractions and needless to say hadn't fallen back asleep. He decided to go into work late and wait a couple of hours to see if they continued. They did but were still irregular so off to work he went. When he left for work I was pretty tired so went to lay down... I slept for 30 minutes before the contractions woke me up again. 

They lasted all day and were around 8-10 minutes apart lasting 50 seconds. During the day I also lost parts of my mucus plug. By 18:20 my contractions were lasting 50 seconds and  3/4 minutes apart. 

Off to the hospital we went. I was checked around 9pm and to my horror I was only 1cm!! The midwife went ahead and gave me a little stretch and sweep to help things along but I honestly felt like crying. I had dealt with contractions all day and was only 1cm dilated. I had no idea how I was going to manage another 9cm. The midwife was lovely and ran me a lavender bath to help me relax a little. She said that she thought we would have our baby girl in our arms within 24 hours, I prayed she was right. 

We got home around 11pm and tried to get some rest. Mark managed to nap here and there but I couldn't sleep at all. The midwife was kind enough to let us borrow the hospitals tens machine which was amazing and helped a lot. I also had two baths during the night and cuddled up to a hot water bottle. 

Needless to say it was a long night...

Thanks for reading,

Nicola xx


  1. awww looking forward to part 2! bet it all seems surreal now, hope you're not too sore now x

  2. Oooo I cannot wait to read the next part! xx


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Design by Studio Mommy (© Copyright 2014)